Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    dermetfan in the name of othersdermetfan in the name of others shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Robin SAdminRobin S (Admin, dermetfan) responded  · 

I started preparing a small series for this and somehow ended up creating libgdx-box2d-multiplayer (https://bitbucket.org/dermetfan/libgdx-box2d-multiplayer/wiki/Home). Once it is in a usable state, what do you think about using it in the series? We would be using KryoNet anyway, so the series would be about how to make a Box2D multiplayer game in libGDX using KryoNet and libgdx-box2d-multiplayer. Sounds good?

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dani RocaDani Roca commented  · 

still waiting for ur tutorial!!!

• Robin SAdminRobin S (Admin, dermetfan) commented  · 

@Ahmed Zuman @Michael Whittle Multiplayer backend providers such as Google, Parse and Nuggeta are certainly a way to power your game. However they are far more complicated than KryoNet and would probably be a separate topic to cover in dedicated videos. They may all be great services but not what I mean to cover in this series. All of them make you dependent on their specific service. KryoNet is simply a network library, not a full fledged multiplayer game backend, so you stay independent of third party services.
        You could actually combine a multiplayer game service with KryoNet. Use the service to manage player accounts, save achievements, provide rooms to join and pair players up. You can then still use KryoNet for the actual gameplay.
        So I decided to use KryoNet for this to be independent of third parties, leave all possibilities open and because game services are simply overkill for what we want to do.

• Ahmad ZumanAhmad Zuman commented  · 

it's a lovely idea , i was searching and waiting for some thing similar
        i have not tried KryoNet or any other multiplayer libraries/functions but as "Michael Whittle" said :
        what about Google's Game Services?

• Alec KarfontaAlec Karfonta commented  · 

Hey Dermetfan, I have implemented very rudimentary multiplayer in a couple Libgdx prototypes using Kyronet. I could share the source with you for a video. One is a clone of tennis for two. A lot of the Libgdx code actually comes right from your videos. Thanks for all the good work.

• Michael WhittleMichael Whittle commented  · 

I have not done this yet but would this not be done through Google's Game Services? I have read they provide all sorts of functionality for this which also supports non-Android devices as well. Would this be the way to go?

Feedback and Knowledge Base